Chimere Training Course
Registration for the 12th CHIMERE Training Course is now closed.
The course takes place on September, 14 - 16, 2016 at Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau, France.
The CHIMERE team organizes a training course to teach users to:
- Install the model code
- Understand the code structure
- Perform a Chimere simulation and produce figures using Chimere toolboxes
- Change input data, e.g., an emission scenario
- Perform experiments depending on users' goals (e.g., setup a new domain or play with emission scenarios).
The language of the Training Course is either French or English, depending on whether non-French-speaking participants are present.
- Day 1
- 10:00-10:30: Reception at the LMD, Palaiseau.
- 10:30-12:00: CHIMERE overview: model users, development history, current projects.
- 12:00-12:30: Program structure and installation.
- 12:30-14:00: Lunch
- 14:00-16:45: Program structure / Running CHIMERE.
- 16:45-17:00: Coffee break
- 17:00-18:00: Visualize results and compare with observations.
- Day 2
- 09:00-11:00: Change input data: emission scenario.
- 11:00-11:15: Coffee break
- 11:15-12:45: Change input data: emission scenario.
- 12:45-14:00: Lunch
- 14:00-16:30: Time for a team project: Change emissions for an industry sector.
- 16:30-16:45: Coffee break
- 16:45-18:00: Team projects and short presentations of the results.
- Day 3
- 09:00-09:45: Individual projects depending on each participant's interests.
- 09:45-11:00: Visit of the SIRTA measurement facilities
- 11:00-11:15: Coffee break
- 11:15-12:45: Individual projects (continued)
Expected knowledge:Basic experience with Fortran and Linux. Some knowledge of bash and awk, NCO commands to work with NetCDF files would be helpful
- To apply please send an e-mail to chimere-training @
lmd.polytechnique.fr before September, 1 with the following information:
- E-mail address
- Organisation name and address
- Research area
- Planned and/or current CHIMERE applications
- There is no registration fee, and participants will be offered lunch during the two days of the course
Arrival:The course takes place at the Laboratory of Dynamic Meteorology (LMD) IPSL, Ecole Polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau. Access to the campus: RER B 'Lozère' or bus 91.06 from RER B 'Massy Palaiseau' to 'Polytechnique Laboratoires'.
- At the campus, follow the signs "Laboratoires" (number 4 in cyan color on the map). You need building 4, the 3d level, then follow signs to the LMD.
- The training course will take place in the meeting room (No 3052) at the end of the corridor on the right.
Accommodation Notes:Here is some accommodation information based on opinions of previous participants.
Excelsior Latin, a hotel that some participants found quite good in terms of quality/price. It is located in a nice neighborhood of Paris, Le Quartier Latin. Address: 20, rue Cuias - 75005 Paris
Two other appreciated hotels are Le Moulin de Lily and Hotel d'Orsay. They are quite close to Ecole Polytechnique where the Training Course takes place.
Please note that those are just opinions of other participants, and the Training Course organizers do not know more than that about the hotels. We do not keep in contact with hotels' administration. So there is no warranty.
We hope it helps though!
QuestionsFor further questions you can send an e-mail to chimere-training @ lmd.polytechnique.fr (Dmitry Khvorostyanov or Laurent Menut)
Exercises and learning materials:Overview of recent and current CHIMERE development projects
- Find your way to the LMD
- Run Chimere & Plot
Presentations September 14, 2016
|LMD Lidar, April 2013
|Previous training courses (left); PC Class, April 2013 (right)